Clapton comes to Orkney

Friday 4th May 2012

We have had 5 or 6 nice days and 3 or 4 really beautiful, hot, clam days.
If it was not for the high winds and snow that we are having at the moment, even today has been very nice.

 Last Sunday I went out with the South Ronaldsay walking group for an amble from Eastside Kirk to Grimness. We can see Grimness from our house but I have never been there, nor to Eastside Kirk.
 The beautiful, isolated places in Orkney never cease to amaze me. Eastside Kirk is a lovely little chapel on the coast close by Newark Bay. a sandy bay with loads of rock pools. It was a great day. No coat needed, even on the coast. A beautiful place and half a mile of sandy beach at low tide with not a single footprint to show that anyone had been there. How many places in the world are so great to live in?

 The walk to Grimness was pleasant and more to the point, easy. We stopped at the top of the cliffs to have our selection of home-bakes and tea. Pam had kindly made me some walnut loaf for my contribution. Then it was back to the cars via the "Lang Road", a wide grass track.
 Sheena, the woman who takes the art class that I go to, had fetched her 2 children along and her 7 year old daughter "Pip", was flagging a little towards the end of the walk. I dropped back to keep her company and to encourage her to walk a bit faster. Indeed we ended up running a bit, (not a good thing at my age).
 Pip really amused me. She reminded me of Maddy. She just chattered solidly and very fast for the last 30 minutes. Amongst other things that I was told, was that she had been put on an amber warning that week for chattering in class at school. Why was I not surprised?
 It was very nice however when she got almost back to her mum's car to leave and then suddenly ran back just to say goodbye to me. It quite made my day.

 Next day I took Pam down to Newark Bay and we had a stroll down the beach and back throwing balls for Molly.

 On Tuesday, the U3A painting group were meeting at the Stones of Stennes. Just to prove that I am going senile , I turned up on Monday morning and wondered where everyone was. At least it gave me a chance to find a nice viewpoint so that when we actuallymet on Tuesday, I knew where I was going to sit.
       This is what I was supposed to paint but I am not going to load a copy of my dismal attempt.

  I had originally intended to do a pen and ink drawing as I am getting a bit better at this. Gloria, who is in charge of the group, is however another one of those artistic people who demand that I use watercolours.
 I ended up producing a very childlike painting that a 6 year old may or may not be pleased with.
 I shall have to use the excuse that it was the first time that I have ever used watercolours and shall have to practice a bit more.



Returning home as I was coming through Kirkwall there was another scenic masterpiece. One of the tall ships, the "Statsraad Lehmkuhl" was moored up at the pier.
She is one of the ships that was here for the tall ships race last year and although she is not the biggest, she is definitely the most spectacular.

 Next day a really swish, expensive looking cruise ship was in at Hatston pier, so the summer must have started.






 Saturday night there was a concert  by Eric Clapton in "The Picky Centre". Well not actually The Eric Clapton, but a very good tribute band. The lead had been doing Clapton tributes for 27 years and was excellent, and a lot cheaper than the real thing, so a good time was had by all.







No comments:

Post a Comment