Tuesday 29th May 2012

Beginners Luck

 I went out for my fishing trip on the "Welcome Home", the Sea Angling Associations boat.
Lovely weather, if a bit cool at times when the boat was facing the wind and most importantly, not very much of a swell.

 There were just four of us fishing but fortunately the others knew what they were doing and helped me get the kit together as well as offering advice when needed. Probably because of all this advice, I was the first one to catch a fish. Just two mackerel which I did not even realise that I had hooked until I got them quite near the surface. Being by now a champion fisherman, I was also the one and only person to catch a cod.
The Welcome Home

Pam had told me to catch a cod for tea and so I felt that I would be in trouble if I did not catch one.
 It was not strictly necessary as it turned out because Pam had so little faith in my fishing abilities that she had already prepared something else when I got back.

It cost £20 for the trip and I got the loan of the fishing gear from the association including one set of tackle that got lost when it snagged the bottom and snapped (I was not the only one to lose tackle) as I do not have any boat fishing rods etc. We were out all day from 9AM to 4PM so not bad value for money.

                                                                                            Champion Cod Fisherman
  All the others were saying that it was not a good days  fishing and that not much was being caught but as far as I was concerned, I was very surprised that I had caught anything.
 I ended the day with 2 mackerel, 1 cod, 2 whiting and a gurnard that was thrown back as being no good to eat.

I shall definitely be going again and so I had better get myself a proper boat rod and reel. Rods are not very expensive but I think that the reel will have to be an ebay job as they are about £100 new.
 At least when Pam objects, I can say that it is an investment in fish suppers.

Prior to going, I had been a bit worried about being sea sick. The rolling of the boat, even in a light swell was quite pronounced when the engines are off and we were just drifting but this proved not to be a problem. We will see if it becomes a problem in rougher weather. It was noticable however that when I returned home I felt as though the ground was moving and began to be a bit queasy and this lasted for quite a few hours.

Folk festival starts the day after tomorrow, so no sleep for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment