One-nil to the chickens.

Tuesday 26th April 2011

Another triumph of chickens over humans.
I made a pen in the corner of the field for the Jersey Giants.
As it was in the corner, two sides were already fenced with sheep netting so I just had to fence the other two sides with 4 foot wire netting and fit a gate.
Jersey Giants, as the name implies, are heavy birds and can not fly so no problem then. Anyway, by wednesday morning the cockerel was out again, having flown over the top. The hens came out through the holes in the bottom of the sheep netting.
I raised the netting by another foot and fenced the other two sides over the sheep netting.
The cockerel still gets out over the top but at least the hens are now staying in the pen.

On Tuesday evening I took Molly to her disobedience training. Even allowing for the fact that she had only been out of the kennels for a day, she was remarkably bad.
All the other dogs were, to some degree, doing what they were told but Molly was bouncing about doing her "Catch Me - Catch Me" routine.

I think that I will shoot her, have her stuffed and mounted on a set of castors, then I can tow her round nicely.

On Wednesday, after putting the Jersey Giants back in his pen yet again, I started onaking a chicken mansion for the Orpingtons. At the moment they are locked in the shed. They are not very impressed by this and they are making a mess of the shed so the sooner they are out the better.
They are big chickens and so I have to make a big house for them. As I was building it I was aware that it was getting heavier and heavier but it was not until Saturday when it was finished and we tried to lift it that I realised that it may be a problem.
Pam tried to lift one endand it was to heavy. I lifted the other side and the handles immediately broke.
We finally managed to get it moved by inching it onto the trailer and towing it over the field.


All in all, it has been a fairly busy week and not only with all the chicken stuff. Pam was out most of Thursday, first at her craft group in the morning and then working at the cafe before Claire and Dave came round in the evening for a meal. On top of that we had to get tidied up a bit before Hazel and Sue come up next week. I even had to mow the lawns.

On the plus side of things, I managed to miss the royal wedding on Friday. I wish them both well but I did not really fancy watching a wedding no matter who's wedding it was. I managed to miss it without even trying. In fact I was going to watch the news just to see the pageantry and highlights but I even forgot that. Sometimes making chicken houses is a good option.

Oh! Bye the way, The 28th came and went and the shower is still not finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment