Saved a load of money then spent it again.

Friday 24th September 2010
We went to Kirkwall to pay for the windows for the extension which have arrived. They were £500 cheaper than we had been expecting (That doesn't happen very often). I thought Oh good, I will use the money we have saved to but a train set. Wrong again Woodcock.
We bought a multifuel stove instead. The stove was at least a bargain as they had a sale on and not only that but this one was an ex display model so was even cheaper. I did wonder what difference it could make to a hulking big black cast iron stove if it had been on display for a bit but as I could think of no reason why the sunlight should damage cast iron, we bought that one. At least it will burn normal coal instead of the extortionately price phurnacite.

We did nothing much on Saturdat although I did manage to rescue a whole load of polystyrene sheets that Duncan was ripping out of the spare bedroom. So I now have enough packing for my pots to last for years.

Sunday was a lovely day so we went off down to the sands of Wright for a bit of a stroll. We were both surprised to see that Maddy's little stone house was still standing.
It has been there for about a month now and I thought that either it would have collapsed or some kids would have taken it to pieces but it is still just as it was when it was made. (You just do not get that quality of building most places now.)

I then wandered over to Hoxa Dam while Pam stayed on the beach but there was nothing there apart from a family of swans with cygnets almost as big as their parents.

Pam reckoned that the seals may be pupping about now so we went down to Windwick bay to see if there were any there. Last year I got rather to close to a mother and pup down there and she was definately not pleased with me. There were none about there though. I think that it is bit early yet but we will have a look again sometime.
At the car park at Windwick (This is an Orkney car park. You can get 2 cars in it.)

There is a plaque which I had not noticed before to the memory of the crews of two ships, HMS Narborough and HMS Opal.

If my memory serves me right, turned into what they thought was Kirkwall Bay on a night when there was a severe snow storm and ended up on the rocks at Windwick. Unfortunately they did not have GPS then.
There was only one survivor from the crews of both ships.
It looks so peaceful and tranquil now.

On Monday I went to get my photo taken for my bus pass because I am old and knackered.(One of the benifits of old age is free bus travel throughout Scotland and some free ferry trips and some subsidised ferry trips..) There was none of this silly southern, sitting in a booth and press buttons, a nice lady in the chemists with a real camera takes a digital photo anf then prints it off. Thats proper service.
I also got my air tickets booked for visiting Pam when she goes into hospital in Aberdeen early next month. On top of the Islander discount for air fares I also got an additional reduction for hospital visitors, so the return trip to Aberdeen only cost £135, not bad really. I also booked accomodation for two nights in the Islander hostel at Aberdeen hospital which wa also nice and cheap so I have been very economical.
To celebrate my economy, Pam went and bought a new handbag as she says that she needs a new one to go to hospital. I didn't realise that being fashionably kitted out was a requirement of the NHS in Aberdeen. If I ever get sick then I am in trouble.

While we were out Duncan the wonder builder got the roof of the extension felted and the windows in, except for one which is being left out so it can be used as a door while they are building.



It is beginning to look a bit like part of a house instead of a shed.

Nothing much on Tuesday except that we had to take Molly the unruly dog down to the Vets to get a Kennel cough vaccination before she has to go into kennels for a couple of days when Pam is in hospital and I am also down in Aberdeen. We gave her a travel sickness tablet befor we took her down to the vets but she was still sick on the way down and on the way back although not as badly as normal.
We also treated her to a new supply of different travel sickness tablets for thursdays when she has to go down to Kirkwall for her obedience classes so we will see if these are any better. Hopefully if she can get used to travelling without being sick then she may not need the tablets after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment