Women are odd.

Thursday 16th September 2010
Pam was much recovered so I took her on a trip to Kirkwall to get some curtain ties. We will skip over the dreaded Tesco bit and go straight on to the bit that Pam thinks is fascinating. Curtain! Are curtains fascinating? Now, I am told that aircraft, stationary engines, tractors and steam engines are boring but curtains are the stuff of life.
As I have already had photos of aircraft, stationary engines and tractors on the blog, then I feel obliged to put up some photos of curtains.
For those of you who fail to be awestruck by the photos, then I am with you.

For the rest of you, well you are sad ba*****s




Saturday morning
and the wind has dropped to a bit of a breeze, so I took Molly for a good long walk down to Echna Loch and back through the village. The uphill bit was probably good for me but I must admit I prefer the downhill bit.
It's a lovely view from the top of the hill though, all Burray is laid out and on a day like today, Scapa flow, with all the islands looks outstanding.
Several of the fields on the hillside have recently been mowed and big flocks of peewits, golden plovers and curlews were feeding on the stubble. Before we moved up here I used to like seeing the odd curlew every now and then as they always seem to me to be reminiscent of wild places away from people. Here though, flocks of hundreds feed all over the place. At the moment they seem more common than sparrows.
I think I heard somewhere that 60% of the UK population of curlews spend the winter in Orkney, so maybe this means that winter is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment