A shopping expidition for the volounteer.

Monday 4th April 2011
Yesterday was Mother's day and I was lying in bed last night thinking that it is 4 years now since I had to buy a mother's day card. I would give anything to have to buy another. All of you who still have your mother, why not tell her how much you love her today just in case you can't tomorrow.

Anyway, cheer up Woodcock. I was also thinking that because I am always getting behind with the blog, it is getting to be just a bit like a list of things and dates. This makes it easier to keep up but is also boring. I shall in future say some of the things that we have done but not necessarily in the right order ( as Eric Morcombe once said to Andre Preview).

Just to spoil that idea however I shall start with what we did today. Ooh it was exciting. Not only did I get to go shopping in Kirkwall but I got to go to loads of different shops.
Now I can hear you asking if there are loads of different shops in Kirkwall but you would be surprised. It is a City after all, none of your small town stuff.

Mrs Featherstone (I can not get used to calling her Rhona, it seems over familiar but you may call her Rhona if you feel comfortable with it.)
Anyway, Mrs Featherstone had said that she had to get a load of provisions in for the cafe before it opens in a couple of weeks and because she needed to get a lot of stuff (stuff is a technical term for bulk buying groceries) then Pam had said that we would take her down in the Lucida as it has lots of space in the back. She had also kindly volounteered me as driver. You can imagine my delight on being informed of this.

Not only did we get to visit Lidl and "the dreaded Tesco's" but also the cash and carry of whose very existence I was unaware and the frozen food store. I had seen the frozen food store previously but had never felt the urge to go in. On entering it today, I was slightly surprised to find that as far as I could see, it did not sell frozen food. There may have been some up the far end but I did not see it.
It is of course possible that in a previous incarnation it actually sold frozen food and that the Orcadian way of not changing things at the drop of a hat has led to it retaining the name but now being a grocers.

On the positive side of things we have now found out that Pam has a very charitable nature and is not working at the cafe to earn lots of dirty money. She is classed as a volounteer as she looks to middle class so they are not going to insult her by offering her money. It is, I think only the full time cook and the young waitresses that actually get paid.
It is really Pam's own fault. When she applied for the job, she was trying to impress and said that she was not applying because she wanted the money but because she wanted to get to know more people and half the female population of Burray seem to work part time in the cafe. This was taken at face value so she is now numbered amongst the volounteers.

A couple of days ago (a bit vague on the day as I am getting old and senile) I went out for a walk with Molly down towards Hunda. It was a most beautiful day and I have written in my notes that I saw a small tortoiseshell rabbit. In fact I saw the first butterfly that I have seen this year, a small tortoiseshell and I also saw some rabbits seemingly just gamboling about for the fun of it. It seems that spring is now with us. All the daffodils are out everywhere and the bushes are starting to green up.

No comments:

Post a Comment