No Swona but sand castles in Burray

Thursday 4th August 2011
 Not a very good day today. Cloudy, dull and misty with a few showers.
 I got a phone call from Dave Wakefield to say that the bird ringing group were going to Swona today to ring fulmars but I thought that I had better give it a miss. I've already been to Swona twice anyway so it would not add to my island bagging total although it is a beautiful island.

Pam and I took Harry down to No4 barrier beach where we had a good time building sand castles and jumping on them. Either I built a castle and then Harry jumped on it with great mirth or Harry built the sandcastles and I jumped on them with equal glee. Why is it that children like destroying things. The more complex the castle that I built, the greater the pleasure that Harry got from destroying it.




We got a phone call later from Claire telling us that Dave had broken his leg while on Swona. last year on Swona Dave was climbing over precarious tall cliffs and came to no harm but this time he jumped over a tussock of grass and broke his leg.
 They considered calling for a lifeboat or the helicopter but fortunately they managed to get hold of Hamish, the boatman who had taken them out there and he came back. They managed between them to support Dave back to the beach where the dingy came in to take him out to the boat. getting him from the dingy into the boat with a broken leg must have been difficult but they managed and he was safely taken to The Balfour and back home later.The rest of the team managed to get all the young fulmars on the island and Dave seems to be OK.

We may have found Harry's vocation. He likes chickens, so long as they do not peck at him, so maybe he is going to be a chicken farmer although I think that Babs is thinking more along the lines of Prime Minister. I personally think that wanting to be a chicken farmer is much more laudable than wanting to be Prime Minister.

 On Friday Pam and I took Harry to the soft play area at the Picky centre while Babs finished her assignment. Now at least Babs can start to have a relax now.

In th afternoon we all went to Deerness where they have the "Deerness in 100 objects" exhibition in the community centre.I had been there the other week with john and Alex but Pam had not seen it and it is a really good exhibition so I wanted to go round it again anyway.






They have a nice little play park outside the community centre with slides, swings and such like so Harry enjoyed himself aswell.





In the evening Ivan Drever, a local lad who now lives in Norway had a concert in The Sands Hotel in the village so Pam and I went down. I like his music and it was a free concert so I  bought a CD instead and had Ivan sign it with an apology for forgetting the wedding anniversary so maybe I have earned a little forgiveness.
Ivan has a couple of friends at home in Norway who lost children in the recent massacre there and although Orkney has close links to Norway and have sent official and unofficial condolences, it somehow makes it seem closer and more real.

No comments:

Post a Comment