More incoherent burblings

Friday 14th January 2011

Once again I have been chastised by my daughter for not doing the blog, or as she refers to it "the ramblings of an old fool". Once again nothing of note has happened but just to keep my darling daughter happy, I will ramble on.

Well, I thought that Duncan had finished and left but he was back today clearing out and finishing off some odds and sods. Gavin was also here painting, so nothing seems to have changed. It will seem odd when eventually everyone has finished and we have the house to ourselves.

This morning was wet and not pleasant but at least it wasn't windy. It is surprising that generally the weather here is not bad, possibly better than Staffordshire. Since we have been here we have had a few gales but somehow they don't seem to bad as it is always a bit breezy but I am sure that we have had less rain than we used to get when we lived down south. It is definately not as cold, the lowest it got here was -4 degrees, although it was colder in other parts of Orkney.
Anyway, so far, so good, although I should probably not say that, maybe it will all go pearshaped tomorrow. This afternoon was nice and sunny though, so maybe we are OK.

The capacitors for the Kenwood Chef arrived today. I got them from ebay for £6.50 after OTE had charged me £39 just to tell me that it was a discontinued model and Kenwood didn't stock the parts.
Dave from St Mary's has said that he will solder the new capacitors in, so hopefully it will be OK.

Al Murray, the pub landlord is up here in June so we got some tickets today. Duncan also wanted some tickets so we got two for him aswell. I think that Pam only volounteered to get his tickets so that she will get to see his new girlfriend but then I may be attributing ulterior motives to her kindness (or maybe not). They do surprisingly well for visiting entertainment up here. Bill Bailey was up a bit ago but then I suspect that he came for the bird watching and did a couple of gigs while he was here rather than the other way round.

We got the economy 10 electric meter fitted today, so not only is the heat pump working but it is working on cheap electricity for 10 hours a day. it was only on tuesday that I took the forms in to the Hydro requesting the meter be changed. I think that if we were down south, the forms would still be on somebody's desk for another couple of weeks. It is a bit of a contradiction, on the one hand the people are so laid back and yet they do not seem to allow paperwork to make a small job into a marathon.

On Saturday we went into Kirkwall to a craft exhibition which I thought may be interesting. It wasn't so the least said the better.
Later we went down to South Ronaldsay to pick up some light sussex hatching eggs for Pam. The farm that we picked them up from must be the southernmost place in Orkney, just a cock's stride from Scotland, albeit a rather damp stride over the Pentland Firth. We phoned them when we were on the way down but we got no answer as they were out beachcombing which they do after every storm to see what treasures have been donated to them. We haven't had a storm but there were big rollers coming in but they could have come from hundreds of miles away.
We got half a dozen eggs and I had already got an incubator set up so we will see if we get any chicks in three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment