England 22: Scotland 16

Sunday 13th March
Just for a change it was windy and sleety most of the day so once again we stopped in. At least I got to watch the rugby. Who am I supposed to support though? No problem, we won. A bit tatty really but at least a win is a win. Scotland played much better than they have in other games but then they always raise their game when playing England.England on the other hand did not play well at all but it was just enough.

On Monday the weather finally improved so that I could get a little done without getting either soaked or blown over (or both). I managed to get some bracing timbers across from the shed to the wall of the old stone shed to stop it moving in the wind. I had seen it dancing a bit the other day and I could do without it jumping off its blocks. I can also use the bracing struts to allow me to roof over the gap between the two sheds so that I can have another shed.
There is enough space to get the little tractor and the topper in, so if I just build a wall at the back and put some doors on the front then Hey Presto! I have another shed.
Hamish is going to be taking down his big shed soon and has offered me as many roofing sheets as I want so it should be a cheap shed. It will then give me a good deal more room in the stone shed. Enough room for a train set that is. One day when Pam has run out of little jobs and we have then I will get a start on the train set so I will not hold my breath.

Gavin, who did the painting and decorating in the extension, popped round this morning. He was up here to see Jack Scott about something and thought that he would like to see what the extension looked like now it is finished and furnished. He was most impressed but then I don't suppose he is going to say that it is rubbish even if he doesn't like it.

Wednesday and yet another lovely day. (I could get used to this). I went on one of the U3A birdie walks. Only a short walk of about 4 miles but just for a change there were loads of birds. This is not normal on birdie walks but that maybe because everybody is wandering along gossipping and not looking for birds.
The walk was in west mainland, just north of Dounby. We started at some holiday chalets which had a bird hide behind them. This hide looks out over the Loch of Banks which is really more of a series of muddy pools and marshy ground than a loch. Not very pretty at all but it is just how the birds like it. We then walked round the Loch of Sabiston, a proper loch. There were loads of whooper swand making a great deal of noise and getting all excited as they will be leaving soon to return to Iceland.

A group of daft people by the Loch of sabiston. They have just been told to look as though they have just seen something interesting while someone else takes a photo.




The loch of Sabiston is really a hidden gem. Invisible from the road, it lies in a trough in the hills with a few scattered farms and houses around it. There is one particularly lovely old mill complete with house, mill stream and outbuildings that is being used as farm buildings. It looks to all be still in good condition and I am surprised that it has not been sold off for modernisation as it would be a beautiful place to live.

On Thursday one of the Dorking eggs hatched and another started to hatch but died before it got out properly. I originally bought 6 eggs, 2 were not fertile but the other 4 developed properly but only one has hatched properly even though the others looked fully developed when I checked. I think that there must be a problem with the incubator. I will have to give it a real good check over before I get any more eggs.

Pam had her craft meeting this morning in Finstown and while she was there, I went to the furniture auction at the auction mart. All the prices for anything that I was interested in were higher than I was prepared to pay. (or I am to mean) (IS THAT OK BABS? TO, TWO, TOO, TOOT.)
so I bought nothing. It was however interesting to see the range of stuff for sale and the prices that things reached. There was a really nice heavy duty cultivator in very good condition and I bid up to £170 but it finally went for £240 and still cheap to my mind. I did not think that Pam would understand if I told her that the little nests of coffee tables were to expensive but that I had bought a cultivator.

After they had finished their craft group I met up with Pam and Helen in The Reel for lunch before going to the U3A AGM at the St Magnus Centre.
Yesterday Barbara, the U3A secretary had asked Pam if she would consider standing as secretary because Barbara is standing down. Pam gave her a very polite but definite NO.
At the meetingthey had to elect both a new chairman and a new secretary. After much arm twisting, they managed to get somebody to agree to stand as chairman and he was duly elected but nobody would allow themselves to be put forward as secretary.
They must have spent about 15 minutes trying to get somebody to take it on and explaining that the organisation could not continueto run if they did not get a new secretary. All their efforts were met with a deafening silence and much uncomfotable fidgiting from the members.
In the end, I volounteered Pam.

Saying that she was not best pleased about this is like saying that the reverend Ian Paisley is not madly in love with the Pope. She was however persuaded that as nobody else would take the job, then there was not much choice.
I don't think that I will be getting fed for the next few days though.

No comments:

Post a Comment