Who's getting a new shed then?

Thursday 3rd March 2011
I nipped into Kirkwall first thing to get the shed that I am buying jacked up off the ground so that we can pick it up easily on saturday.
The shed is not sectional, having been built where it stands, so I have had to hire a HIAB to pick it up and drop it off. This is costing £42 per hour. As all who know me will be aware, I have, on the odd occassion been known be a bit careful about spending my hard earned money. I therefore thought that I had better do all that I could to speed the loading and unloading of the shed.

The shed itself is not costing anything except 2 dozen eggs and a donation to a local charity but as it is a good shed, then much against my nature I think that a reasonable donation is only fair.

At home later , we finished levelling out all the chippings on the drive and I got the blocks down for the shed to sit on when it arrives.

On Friday
Pam took delivery of a sewing machine that she had won on ebay. Unfortunately the seller had forgotten to enclose the power supply, foot pedal and instruction manual. Looking at the machine, I think that a manual would be essential. I always thought that sewing machines just sewed things but this one has so many controls that i am sure it must be able to do a multitude of things but until the manual arrives we will never know.
I think that it is the craft group that has gone to Pam's head. She has not sewn anything since Babs and gareth were very young and now she says that she needs an all singing all dancing machine. If only she would get interested in something sensible like model railways.

Saturday (Shed Day)
I heard the first skylark of the year over our fields this morning. It must be a good omen.
The delivery of the shed went like a dream. As you will know if you have been paying attention, I had already jacked the shed up, put ropes under it and cut the wires holding it down. (Anything with a large surface area has to be chained down against the wind here.) The Hiab arrived on time and I just pulled his straps under the shed with the ropes and we were ready to go.
The shed hoisted very easily and quickly onto the wagon so all my fears of it collapsing when it was lifted proved to be groundless. It was very quickly secured and then off to Burray. The driver dropped the shed spot on where I had prepared and with a couple of adjustments to the breeze blocks that I had put for it to stand on, it was all done.

Maybe not the prettiest of sheds but with a lick of wood preserver and a bit of paint round the windows it will be hunky dory.
Just over 1 hour from start to finish and the driver only charged me for the one hour so I have a good big solid shed for £100 with the transport and the donation. Not bad.

1 comment: