Show entries in. Hen out.

Saturday 9th July 2011
We are putting a couple of the chickens in for the local shows in August. Originally we were thinking of entering in the 4 shows that we could but as all the shows in Orkney are in the same week then it would be a bit to stressful for the hens. We could use different hens but we only have one really good cockerel. We have therefore just entered for the local Burray and South Ronaldsay show and the County show. Fingers crossed and we will see how we do. I like the atmosphere and fun of showing anyway and I am sure that we will not disgrace ourselves.

Even though I had built the dorkings pen higher than normal, I found one of the dorking hens out on Monday. She was running up and down by the wire of another pen. She was hatched at the same time as a Jersey giant hen and thhave both gone round together since that were let out. It seems wierd in hens but I think that she misses her friend. I put the jersey giant in the dorking pen and then put the dorking hen back. They immediately started going around together and the dorking has not tried to escape since.

Dennis fetched the andalusian eggs back as he thinks that only one is fertile and he wants some to hatch when his grandchildren are up her in a few weeks. I think that there are 2 fertile and there are at least 3 fertile in the ones that I have so we will have to wait and see.

On Saturday I rang John Bowker, my oldest friend. He is coming up for a holiday in just over a week. Fortunately I managed to speak to his son Alex who is coming with him. John is, to say the least not greatly impressed with any sense of urgency, so at least speaking to Alex reassured me that they would actually get here. Alex seems to have everything properly organised.

Mr Scott from the farm up the road asked on Sunday if he could buy a bit of land from us to create a turning circle for wagons picking up cattle. I do not think we will go with that but I will have to be a bit diplomatic to avoid upsetting a neighbour.

We are going on the first U3A archelology group trip on Wednesday so on Tuesday I did some last minute swotting on Eday archeology. Probably to little and to late but then I don't think that most of the others are all that expert anyway.

1 comment: