Everything is shut and we are old.

Monday 29th November 2010
There was more snow overnight so all the schools are closed and most of the bus services are cancelled or restricted.

Our road is still impossible without a 4*4. Fortunately we have a builder with a 4*4.
Although he was not due up here until this afternoon, Duncan came up to see if we needed anything from the shops. All we wanted was milk but it was very good of him to be looking after the old folk stranded in the snow. The fact that when he came back, he had forgotten to get the milk in no way detracts from his very good intentions.

Again it was a lovely morning and the walk with the dog was a real pleasure. When we were down the village I noticed that the big Burray wind turbine was turning again.
It has been out of action for 3 months or more. I am told that there was a gearbox fault but why it took so long to fix it I do not know.
They must have lost a lot of money. Burray Community Association get £30,000 a year from the turbine so presumably they have lost about £7000. As there are about 350 people in Burray then that is about £20 each. I had noticed a huge crane at the turbine a couple of weeks ago but I haven't noticed it working until now.

Tuesday was another lovely day. Just after dawn the shades on the sky and the sea were spectacular. I took a photo but it does not really do it justice.
It makes me realise how fortunate we are to live here. Most days when I take the dog into the garden first thing I just look round and feel lucky (then there are the days when I tell the dog to hurry up or I am going back inside without her).

On Radio Orkney this morning they announced that some schools were open. They listed them all and then said that although the council site said that North Ronaldsay school was shut, it was in fact open. This announcement struck me as a total waste of time. There are I think, only 2 children in the North Ronaldsay school and they are both from the same family. They also live close to the school so probably already knew or had recieved a phone call. Come to that why would North Ronaldsay school shut anyway it's a small island. You can get anywhere in a tractor and most people have one.

As it was so lovely again and as Duncan forgot the milk yesterday, Molly and I went down to the shop for a couple of things. Molly made a new friend of a golden retriever that she met in the shop. None of those silly rules about "No Dogs" in the shop. Even the shop owners dog is often in there on a little dog bed in the corner. Molly made a bee-line for a box full of tennis balls but I restrained her.
I should have taken more notice of her as it must have been a premonition. When she was playing with Jock in the field late this afternoon, we managed to loose our last 2 tennis balls in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment