Nothing but builders and dead seals.

Sunday 14th November 2010
A lovely day so we took Molly to the beach for a run. (Loose again with her string). She was being much more obedient than normal, even fetching the ball back instead of running off as normal. Just as we turned back Molly legged it off all of a sudden at a great rate, ignoring her ball altogether. I assumed that she had figured that we were going back and was going to abscond before we could get her in the car but when I got closer to her I saw that she had found a dead adult seal on the beach. Fortunately I managed to get to her befor she had a good roll in it. (It had been dead for some time and had a really fascinating aroma according to Molly.)

Monday had a fantastic dawn and was another lovely day (that's 2 in a row, and in winter too) Molly won out all round as she was out with Jock twice and also had a walk to the village.


Duncan stripped the plaster board from the corridor before insulating it so now even less of the house looks fit to live in. When you see the bare stone walls you realise why they built them 2 1/2 feet thick. It was because they were fishermen, not builders and there was more chance of a wide wall standing up. Very little mortar and a lot of stones just balanced. If you keep it thick enough then there is very little skill in getting the wall to stay up.

On Tuesday we had a full house, Duncan and Hamish, Brickies, Electricians, Heat pump installers, plumbers and Gavin doing the decorating. It cost us a fortune in tea and I had to go to the shop to get another couple of litres of milk.
They all got a lot done though and at last it looks as though things are coming together. Duncan was so rushed that he couldn't spare the time to go to Kirkwall for plaster board and insulation so I had to take hisvan down and pick it up for him. What is the going rate for van drivers?

I was going to go to the RSPB AGM in the evening but the weather was worsening and I was not sure if the barriers would be open for coming back so I gave it a miss. I will no doubt get my wrists slapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment