They told me lies. It does get cold in Orkney.

Tuesday 23rd November 2010
People always say that Orkney doesn't get cold because the tail end of the gulf stream get up here. They tell lies. There was snow on the top of the Hoy hills, some heavy snow showers and it definitely was not warm. However, having said that it doesn't get really cold, well not upto Staffordshire standards but I am getting old and do not need temperatures of minus 10 degrees.

We won a boat trip on the Children in need last friday and went to Radio Orkney on monday and paid for it but I had to contact the boat owner to arrange when to take the trip.
On Wednesday I phoned him up to see if there was any time limit on when to take the trip. Fortunately I can take the trip any time that suits me and I can leave it until next spring or summer so will probably use it when either Barbara or Gareth come up. The problem then (which I should have thought of before bidding on the auction) is that I will now have to pay for another boat trip for whoever comes up second.

Anyway, back to the plot. While I was chatting to the boat owner on the phone I asked what the boat was normally used for. It turns out that he dives for scallops and will sell them live in their shells from Burray pier for between £3.50 and £4.50 per Kilo (about 10). We can see the boat going in and out from our front window so next time I see him coming in I shall have to rush down to the pier and buy some. I love scallops but when you get them from a restraunt they cost a fortune and you only get 3 or 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment