Our wedding anniversary.

I got up and went to make a cup of tea only to find an envelope addressed to me on the kitchen table. I had a sudden flash of memory, somebody, probably Pam had mentioned something about a wedding anniversary the other day but it had not really sunk in.I had not got a card.
Now you and I know that cards are just useless bits of paper sold at exorbitant prices to make vast profits for card shops but unfortunately that it not the way that Pam sees them. Apparently to Pam they are the only way in which any any emotional message can be conveyed and if a card is not forthcoming on all the numerous occassions when it is deemed appropriate then a lot of buttering up will be necessary to allow any prospect of a reasonable life for some time.

There was not time to get a card but in a sudden flash of inspiration I thought that surely a home made card personaly handcrafted by me would be better that a mere shop bought one. When Pam awoke my idea for a hand made card was given fairly short shrift and I was in the doghouse, not a totally new experience.

Relief was at hand though in the shape of Duncan the builder and his mate who had come to get the large 3 seater settee into the house. It is really heavy and was to big to fit in through the door so Duncan was going to take out the large picture window and fetch it in that way. Unusually for this sort of thing it went very smoothly, the settee came in undamaged and the window came out and went back with no problems so Pam was pleased. If Pam is pleased then my life is always much better so this is a good thing.

Pam and I had to stop in as the tiler was supposed to be coming to finish off the last little bit in the kitchen so Babs, Jon and Harry went off to Hoxa while we waited in. Just after they had gone the tiler phoned to say that she would come on Friday instead, probably due to womens problems or just natural female unreliability.

A bit later a small single engined propellor aircraft came hurtling down water sound outside very low over the sea and pulled up over the village wagging his wings. I assume that his mum was at the back door waving back, if he had been a few feet to the east she would have been able to witness her sons untimely demise as he ploughed into the hotel but he managed to miss it and shot off.

In the afternoon we went to The Cromarty Hall in St Margaret's Hope where there was supposed to be a book sale and cafe. Not a great selection of books so I just settled for the cafe but Babs of course managed to find 3 or 4 books. I did not think that there were 3 or 4 books that Babs had not read yet but I am obviously wrong.

Went to The Sands for a meal in the evening, scored brownie points by saying that although their scallops were really good, they were not as good as the ones that Pam cooks so I probaly ended the day all square.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no Dave you do not get away with it that easily The truth of the matter was,... he had plenty of reminders that it was our anniversary, even down the to the fact that I told him that I would like to go to Woodwick House for a meal to celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary the following day, It was written on the calender, and I had told him on the Friday previously when we were in Kirkwall about it be our anniversary the following Tuesday, I went off to Tesco and he went to Shearers (they also sell anniversary cards)He just could not be bothered to buy one! On Monday even after the conversation we had about the anniversary meal at lunch time he still did not get a card and that evening some more friends came around and brought us a wedding anniversary card and bottle of Wine...another rather large hint.
    Our "open all hours shop"that opens at 7am in the morning sells anniversary cards and whats more our daughter Babs,offered Dave the card she had got for us.but Dave turned it down telling her it did not matter !Needless to say Dave had not booked a table for us at Woodwick so come 3pm on Tuesday I thought I had better do something about getting a table booked...needless to say Woodwick house was fully booked, so that left the Sands nice as it is I really wanted to try Woodwick House.
    Now Mr Romantic did not at anytime during the day show the slightest romantic gesture ...even once we went out for the meal, as we had sat down to eat he asked if I was driving so as he could have a drink....once the meal was over he left me to pay while he went outside for a cig....Oh and no he is not back in my good books or anything like it...I just have not decided how I am going to extract my revenge on him but believe me I will make him suffer...when I am ready...but rest assured he will suffer.Pam x

    ReplyDelete