At last we move in.

Friday 28th Jan uary 2011
Well at long last we are using some of the vastly expensive extension. I was beginning to think that it was just a big over priced ornament that I could look at but not touch. Today however we finally got moved our bed into the new bedroom, so at last part of it is functional.
I shall look forward to having a good nights sleep with all the high tech underfloor heating keeping me all warm and toasty. I shall report tomorrow as to the effectiveness of the heating.

If you remember dear reader, I phoned the Wernlas Collection last week to see if they would have any silver/grey dorkings for sale in April. Well, they phoned me back today and ,Oh Rejoice, for they have fertile eggs and will have some for sale. I have ordered 4 hens and 2 unrelated cockerels.

On Saturday Alistair from the village came up and sorted out all the televisions, so now we can watch TV all over the house. It is probably all to complicated for me so I expect that I will be throwing remote controls out of the window. In theory we can watch Sky or freeview in both the sitting rooms and in the new bedroom but we can not have different Sky channels on each telly although we can have different Freeview channels.
At one time I could program computers using machine code. Now I have problems knowing which button to press on a TV remote and DVD recorders are totally beyond me.
Oh the joys of getting old!!!

The RNLI had an open day in Kirkwall today and as I have,fortunately never been on a lifeboat, I thought that I would have a look.
The Kirkwall boat, The Margaret Foster, is a Severn class boat and is a very impressive looking piece of machinery.
If you really feel that you must go down to the sea in ships then this is probably the best one to do it in.

There were not many people about so the 2nd Coxwain, Stewart Ryrie, showed me round the boat and very proud of it he was to. Half the boat is taken up with two huge diesel engines of 1250 Horse Power each. (It would make a really good boat for water skiing). he was telling me about some of the call outs including one last year in which the 4 inch diameter steel column supporting one of the crew seats was bent beyond repair by the boat hitting a wave. It makes you realise why the crew are strapped in like racing car drivers.
Stewart's eldest son is also a member of the lifeboat crew. I couldn't help but wonder how his wife felt when they were called out in bad weather.

I have met a few very brave men in my life and they all seem to have two things in common. They all have an air of being at ease with themselves and they do not brag about what they have done. I suppose it is because they have nothing to prove to anybody else and they have proved to themselves that they are the equal of anybody. These crews are very special people.
Well that's the RNLI appreciation society bit over but I just could not ignore them.

Pam did not come to see the lifeboat so she sat in the car and read her e-book. The woman has no soul. She did however redeem herself by going to Wisebuys and getting quite a few things. Wisebuys is fast becoming her favourite shop, maybe even more that the dreaded supermarket that shall be nameless. Unfortunately Wisebuys do not sell food.

Oh, I nearly forgot. The heating in the new bedroom is hunky dory. In fact it is to hot so I shall get all eco-thingy and mean and will turn it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment