Gainful employment for Pam.

Thursday 17th February 2011
Today was Pam's crafty day and as she wanted me to take her down there, I had a second day in Finstown.
I was going to go round the woods again but lethargy got the better of me, so I just drove round a few places having a look what birds were about. Oddly a cormorant was crossing the grass by the car park and waddled past within 15 feet of me. I assume that it must have been injured or it would have flown off but I could see nothing obvious.

I went to see if the Bearded seal was still at the old slip but though there were several grey seals, the Bearded seal had absented itself.






On the way back from Finstown I mentioned to Pam that the Fossil centre cafe in Burray was advertising for staff in the Orcadian. To my surprise she said that she may apply for a job there. The jobs are all part-time and she thought that it would be a good way of getting to know some more folk locally.
It is Mrs Featherstone, Molly's friend, that owns the cafe so I told Pam that if she wanted a job there she would have to get Molly to write her a reference. (Mrs Featherstone knows every dog in Burray by name).

True to form when Pam phoned up to speak to her, as soon as she said her name Mrs F said "Oh Molly's mum". She very sensibly said that she did not think that a job as a waitress would suit Pam because they are on their feet for hours and get very busy. She did though, say that they needed a baker to make cakes, scones etc and as Pam had raised a family then she must be OK at baking. As it happens, she is correct but I can think of many people who have raised families nowadays who have no idea about baking.
The job does not start until the beginning of April and I think that between now and then I am going to be a guinea pig for all sorts of new cake recipes. Pam is really excited and it is lovely to see. Who would have thought that getting a part-time job on minimum wage would seem such a great thing at our age.

1 comment: