I am the perfect husbamd.

Monday 14th February 2011
Let it never be said again that I do not buy flowers for Pam.
I made a special trip down to the village shop and got her the biggest bunch that they had. Admittedly they didn't have any very big bunches but that is hardly my fault.
Pam is always saying that I have never bought her any flowers , even when she has been in hospital or when the children were born. I am sure that I must have bought flowers at some time but due to having a bad memory, I can not remember when and Pam relies on this when making her mischevious accusations.
In future, dear readers, you will be able to back me up. Over the next few years, whenever Pam says that I never buy her flowers, we will all chant together "Oh yes he does, remember valentines day 2011".
I also bought a valentines day card. The woman is spoilt beyond belief.

On a happier note, I went to look at a shed today. I had put a note up on th Orkney Forum on the internet/ web thingy, asking if anybody had any chicken houses that they no longer used. I got a response from a bloke in Kirkwall saying that his sister had 2 sheds that she wanted to get rid of in return for a donation to a local charity, so I went to have a look. The first shed is really good 12 and a half foot by eight and a half foot. The only problem is that it was built on site and is not sectional. I think that if I try to cut it to transport it then it may not go back together again so I will have to get it transported complete as it stands. I think that a flatback wagon with a HIAB will be needed. I will also to clear a space for the wagon access to the side of my shed where I want it to go. Hopefully that should not be to difficult. Otherwise it is a JCB job and I am to mean to pay if I don't have to.

On WEDNESDAY there was a U3A birdy walk. It was supposed to be round Burray which would have been nice and handy but because of the winds, they were worried about crossing the barriers to get here so they changed the venue to Binscarth woods in Finstown.
This means that the hardy souls from the South Isles had to cross the barriers but I think we are considered expendable. As it was, the barriers were OK anyway.

The walk was only a short one, about 3 miles or so, through the woods, up to The Loch of Wasdale and back down to The Ouse. This is the first time that I have been to Binscarth woods although I have always meant to go and have a wander round.

It is very different to most of Orkney and it feels odd being surrounded by large trees in a place where the few trees that do exist are wind blasted and stunted.






Masses of snowdrops were flowering and the wild garlic was shooting up all over the place. In a couple of months the place will stink of the stuff but it is very pretty.




There were plenty of birds but nothing unusual. Loads of oystercatchers, curlews and lapwings in big flocks and 30 - 40 Whooper swans on the loch.

The swans were around a crannog in the loch. This is the first crannog that I have seen (except on Time Team) and I didn't even know it was there. I shall have to go for a closer look sometime. There was also what appeared to be another crannog in some marshy ground by the loch which had probably been part of the loch at one time until is silted up.

I am not sure how old crannogs are but I think they are Pictish so they count as "a new residential development" compared to most of the ancient odds and sods in Orkney.

All in all it was a nice interesting walk and as I had started out with a bad ankle but had managed OK, I was quite pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment