Molly comes back. Sometimes

Tuesday 1st February 2011
A bit windy today but apparently there is a lot worse to come. The forecast is for 80 to 90 MPH gusts on Thursday and Friday so a bit of tidying up is required. I will have to shift everything that looks as though it is capable of flight if not tied down.

I have been meaning to take a photo of the house now that all the work is finished, so I took my camera down to The Hope when I went to pick up some stuff from the shops. At least from over there you get a better impression of how the house sits in the landscape. Not bad I think. Hopefully the colour will blend in better as it ages but it doesn't stand out as a modern design would. I think the traditional shape looks OK.
I will get a more close up photo some other day.

I have been thinking of letting Molly out off the lead in the garden when I am around to see if she has got any better at coming back instead of just legging it. Pam however pre-empted my decision and opened the door to take some washing out without checking where Molly was. Molly of course spotted the opportunity and shot out past Pam's legs.
I was pleasantly surprised. Molly stayed in the garden and when I got a ball she kept retrieving it and fetching it back. I thought that it was about time that she learned to come back when she was called and was pleased that at long last we seem to be getting there. It will also be better for Molly if we can let her have the run of the place without having to be on a lead.
I was going to do some work in the shed later so I thought that Molly would like to come with me and have a sniff round all the rubbish in the shed. I opened the door and she shot out then totally ignored me and hurtled round to next door scattering chickens in all directions. After about 1/4 hour of trying to pluck the tail feathers out of all the chickens and totally ignoring me,she finally got herself into a corner where I could get her trapped.
Oh well, Back to square one.

Wednesday was Babs's birthday. so being the loving and dutiful father I sent her a text and facebook comment with birthday wishes first thing.The facebook comment seems to have got lost in the ether somewhere but at least she got the text. I am getting all up to date with all these trendy things now. That must be the third or fourth text that I have sent in the last few weeks. Soon I will be typing them all the time while wandering round the town just like the kids.

The weather wasn't brilliant but I thought that I had better take Molly for a good long walk today because it seems that if the weather forecast is correct, then she may not be getting a walk for a couple of days. I have a mental picture of me walking down to the village with Molly flying like a hang glider on 20 feet up on the end of her lead. The rain held off for most of the time so it was not to bad and Molly enjoyed rooting round on the beach to see how many dead crabs and seagulls she could find.

Duncan fetched up the three bookcases that he has made for us, so once they are painted and varnished we can get the bools out of the cupbords where they have all been boxed up since we got here. I don't know what it is about having books around but a house doesn't seem like home until my books are around.
I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that the average family had just two books and that one of those was the bible (or maybe the Quoran nowadays). Presumably if the average is 2 books per household and I have a couple of hundren or so and Babs has more than the British Library, then a lot of homes do not even have a single book. (OK Babs)
It is not surprising that we now have a generation growing up in which many kids seem to be barely literate. (Could go of on a rant about trendy teachers and education policy but thought better of it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment