First snow on the tops of Hoy

Thursday 21st October 2010
A cool morning but quite pleasant. I went down to the tip at The Hope and looking back, all the slopes of the Hoy hills were covered in snow for quite a way down from the tops. Very picture skew it was to. A much better view than that from most rubbish dumps. Unfortunately I did not have a camera with me and I am to old to use a mobile phone for taking photos. If I start down that road then the next thing will be talking into the camera. I already talk to the television, so it wouldn't be long before I got locked away.

On Friday we went to the dreaded shop again. Hurray!! We also went to several other places to get very interesting things for the extension.
I can not remember what all the interesting things were but Pam assures me that they were interesting.

On Saturday there was a model show at Firth community centre in Finstown. I asked Pam if she wanted to go down there but she declined. I don't think that I will ever understand women. She was all excited about sinks, showers and wooden floors and yet today, she is not even a bit excited about going to a model show at which there were several model railways amongst other things. Perhaps as she is still convalescing after her op then that may account for her otherwise unexplicable behaviour.

We went out on another fruitless seal hunt on Sunday. It's a good job that we are not eskimo's, we would have starved to death by now. It was a nice day however and we got round several places that we have not been before.


For those of you who are convinced that Orkney is a cold and desolate place, I took a photo looking down towards Herston. Note the palm trees. Considering the fact that trees of any sort are not exactly common here, palm trees can be seen in gardens all over the place. I assume that they are sucessful because we do not get many frosts and palms are built to cope with high winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment