No waxwings either

Monday 25th October 2010
I had to take Pam down to the surgery in The Hope so I took the opportunity to wander out towards the pier where the Pentalina docks as there had been reports of waxwings there.
You may not be surprised to hear that all the waxwings had left as soon as they heard I was coming.
From Pier Road it is a nice view across Water Sound to Burray and you can't see all the scaffolding on the house so it doesn't look bad.

Tuesday was a really nice day so Molly and I had an extra long walk right round the beach. The world and his dog (literally) seemed to have the same idea so Molly was chuffed as she got to see 3 dogs that she likes and have a good sniff while the humans chatted.

We went for a meal with David and Claire to the Skerries on South Ronaldsayin the evening. From the car park you can see the lights from houses on the scottish mainland across the Pentland Firth. The Skerries is just a few hundred yards from The Tomb of Eagles, one of the more famous neolithic sites on Orkney. Earlier today the archeologists had started a dig just outside the door of the restraunt. A few weeks ago somebody had moved some stones from the top of a mound and had found themselves looking into a hole with a skull looking back at them from a pool of water. The county archeologist was informed and they decided to dig it straight away, probably because of the risk of water damage to the bones.
If they get it excavated and roofed over then it could make a good attraction for the restraunt next season.

Wednesday morning was overcast, wet and windy and when I looked out of the window at about mid day I though that something had happened to the pier down at the village. I could not see the landward end at all.
It then dawned on me that it was still there but was almost covered by the sea. It must have been a particularly high tide and with the stiff south westerly breeze, the swell was covering the pier.
I nipped down to the village later but the tide had begun to recede so the water was not quite making it over the pier.



Thursday dawned beautiful and sunny with no wind and surprisingly it stayed that way all day.
We had 4 or 5 people (plumbers and electricians) working on the extension all day and it is now covered in pipework and has bits of wire poking down from the ceiling and out of holes all over the place.

Duncan was only up breifly with Jock which did not go down well with Molly. She saw Jock out of the window but by the time I got her out he had gone.
She had her dog training in the evening so at least she managed to see some dogs including a new one that she had a good sniff at. Having a new dog in the group threw her a bit and she ignored me for the first 10 minutes but after that she did OK. I however did not do so well and was told that she was doing everything right and quickly but that I should have been more strict with her. I thought "Why be more strict if she is doing it all properly and fast" but I suppose I will have to raise my voice a bit in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment