Seals-R-Us

Sunday 31st October 2010
A lovely morning so Molly and I had a good long walk across the beach and down to the barrier.

I got Maddy's baby tractor out and shifted several loads of reasonably sized stones from the pile of rubble that the builders had left after knocking the door and window out.
The builder is supposed to be removing the rubble next week and I thought that it was a waste to just let him dump all the good stones in with the rubble so I will save them for something.

After dinner we went down to South Ronaldsay again on a seal hunt. This time though I had looked on the aerial view on multimap. Ithought "If I were a seal, where would I go to have pups". That is assuming that I was a female seal as male seals do not have pups and I am a male but you get the idea. Anyway I was right so I finally found some seal pups.

There were about 10 pups on this beach with another 70 or so on another beach across the bay but they were at the bottom of sheer cliffs so I could not get down to them.


There was a way down from the top at this little beach so I could get near enough to get a decent photo.



I could have got right down to the beach but did not want to disturb them to much in case I upset the mothers. In addition I always think that although they look sweet and harmless, seals are very large carnivores with very big sharp teeth and they may resent me being to near their pups.

No comments:

Post a Comment